The Douglas O-2 was a 1920s American observation aircraft built by the Douglas Aircraft Company.
The Douglas O-2 was a conventional but reliable biplane, which attracted orders for 25 more aircraft: 18 O-2A equipped for night flying and six O-2B dual-control command aircraft for the US Army. Plus, there was one civil O-2BS modified for James McKee, who made a trans-Canada flight in September 1926. In 1927 the O-2BS was adapted as a three-seater with a radial engine.
The O-2H aircraft were an entirely new design but continued the same model number. Major differences were heavily staggered wings, a more compact engine installation, and clean landing gear secured to the fuselage. The fuselage was redesigned and a new tailplane was fitted, with staggered wings with unequal span. The O-2H incorporated the rigid-strut aileron interconnections of the O-2E and an improved split-axel landing gear. The USAAC received 101 O-2Hs between 1928 and 1930, and the National Guard had an additional 40-141 built.
Up to 2011 there were no O-2 aircraft were known to exist. However, in 2011 the wreckage of O-2H 29-163 that crashed out of Kelly Field Texas on March 16, 1933 has been positively identified. The only similar aircraft to exist is a restored Douglas M-2 mailplane and a follow-on derivative of the O-25 variant, an O-38.
* All downloadable drawings and photos are high resolution — 300 dpi